Tuesday 28 July 2009

Guidance


"How despicably have I acted!' she cried. - 'I, who have prided myself on my discernment! - I, who have valued myself on my abilities!"

- Elizabeth Bennet, chapter 36
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen


Ms. Austen's book is a much loved book, I may be a book-whore, but I have to admit the only one undergoing special treatment is this one particular title. The photo above is my own dog-eared copy of Pride and Prejudice. Well, one of them anyway - the first one in fact. I have since collected 3 others, and I plan on collecting more. I love having the many different covers from this wonderful book, so I do like to keep my eyes open. Though I must confess I only ever read the one pictured above, it has huge sentimental value.. And I enjoyed reading the introduction as written by Ms. Gail Cunningham of Kingston University.

Anyways, I'm not writing a review, nor am I proffessing my love of this book at the moment.. It's the quote I wrote above..

The exact moment Lizzie utters this is after she reads a letter from Darcy, explaining away misunderstandings between the two which were outed during his confession of love. Lizzie then realized that she judged people just as unfairly as others, even despite her pride that she was level headed and critical.

I don't know how many times that quote has saved me from making an idiot of myself. Everytime I remember it, I slap myself internally and force myself to listen carefully, observe and think things over before making a decision.

And I thought I'd share it.

I have many, many things stuck inside my head in the form of quotes from books. I figure I may as well write them down. :D

2 comments:

colsohn said...

Aha, you're a romantic soul really, aren't you?

Actually the televised series of pride and Prejudice has re-started on public TV here.English acting; so, just great. English costume drama: so, just splendid.

Though my wife loves it better than I do and I've to admit I didn't even read the book till now. But maybe if you give more quotes you may tempt me to do so in the future.

mousharilla said...

I wouldn't say romantic really, I just have a thing for Darcy xD Oh I love the BBC version..! Colin Firth as Darcy was simply legendary.

You wife has great taste, good sir :D